Monday, September 7, 2015

I SEE, I HEAR, I UNDERSTAND


I SEE, I HEAR, I UNDERSTAND

7/21/2015
VERMONT

The early morning window is thrown wide.  Birds' songs, memories, desires, fears and needs press for attention.  Each jostling to gain the upper hand and claim my day.  Lying abed I wonder how to declare a victor.  There must be a way to choose...the clamor and my indecision leave me rooted in the moment.  I kid myself that the choice is taken from my hands.  The break of day has won again I say...all the rest recedes.
In the morning stillness the leaves outside bear witness to my hidden knowing.  They wait for me to see that bowing to distraction is my delaying tactic.  I secretly hope in the insignificance of immobility... that fear and pain will pass me by.  Really how well has that worked so far?

Lessons from the Vermont woods...the dawn will break, the day will make, the night will fall and I will have the strength to meet them all.